Friday, December 28, 2007

Resolute

For many years I made long lists of lofty resolutions, that no matter how much I meant them, I always only half kept at best. Then two years ago, I made a brilliant list of anti-resolutions which I of course did a slightly better job of keeping.

But now, after reading seeing so much about all the horrible sh*t that is happening everywhere, and after spending the last six months of this year in a pretty dark cloud of personal grief, I’ve decided that for 2008, I’m not making a list at all. In 2008, I’m making one resolution: To be happier.

Which of course sounds completely lame, vague, and sure to fail, but I actually think it’s the smartest resolution I’ve ever made. Sure, I could focus on keeping up my new health regime, or resolve to write more, blah, blah, blah. But this is so much more meaningful— being cynical, pessimistic, and slightly morose has been such a big part of who I am for so long, but what would happen if I just stopped wallowing as much? I’d like to see what life might be like if I just decide to appreciate it (while still pointing out sh*t that is f*cked up of course). So there you have it, there’s my one resolution for 2008.

To alleviate any live-journalness of this post please enjoy the following photos of me and a monkey.

My Impression of a Monkey


A Monkey’s Impression of Me Impersonating A Monkey

No comments: