Monday, January 11, 2010

Top 25 Movies of the 00s

A friend of mine is putting together a best of the decade movie list and asked for my input. Here's what I came up with. Some of these I 100% stand behind as my favorite and the best movies of the last decade, others I really like, still more I could be swayed on and I'm sure there are ones I loved that I left off. But here's my top 25 movies of the 00s:

1.Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004): The one and only time I've not been annoyed by Jim Carrey, and probably the most honest portrayal of the post break-up desire to forget all your pain. At the same time heartbreaking and heartwarming notion that you’ll keep making the same mistakes in love, but that it’s worth it. Perfect.

2. Amelie (2002): Even though it's painfully cute, it's just so pure, funny and enjoyable.

3.Rachel at the Wedding (2008): I never thought much of Anne Hathaway until this movie, she totally transformed and not just because they game her an “alternative” eye make-up and hair cut. Scene where she gives the toast is one of the most painful and awkward moments on film I've ever seen.

4. Best in Show (2000):
Hands down the best Christpher Guest movie, I could watch it over and over. So very funny.

5. Before Sunset (2004): To know me is to know my love of (almost) all things Ethan Hawke. This follow up to 1995's Before Sunrise probably only mattered to those who loved the 1st movie. Low on plot ( the whole movie is just two people walking Paris around talking), it's still has some of the best commentary of life and love, plus the ending couldn't be a better fit.

6. Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
Again, probably too cute for its own good, but it's clever and so re-watchable, plus the entire pageant part is so perfect, not to mention the song and dance number.

7. UP (2009): I laughed, I cried--really. both heart breaking and sweet and goofy all at the same time.

8. Brokeback Mountain
(2005) The movie that made it OK to be a gay cowboy

9. The Wrestler (2008) Great portrait of a has been who is given a second chance to fix his life and still makes the same mistakes of his past.

10. Station Agent (2003) I started writing a screenplay years a go, then I saw this movie and realized what I had wanted to make had already been made in a better way.

11. 500 Days of Summer(2009) Best romantic comedy in years, great soundtrack, clever approach to storytelling.

12. Slumdog millionaire(2008)
13. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
14. The Edukators (2005)
15. Half Nelson (2006)
16. Coraline (2009)

17. Adaptation (2002)
18. Royal Tenebaums (2001)
19.
Sideways (2004)
20. Precious (2009)
21. Hot Fuzz (2007)
22. The Hottest State (2006)
23. Hard Candy(2005)
24. Into the Wild (2007)

25. Waking Life (2001)

No comments: